Meet Hercegovina

Mostar's Churches

Mostar's Churches

The city of Mostar is a seat of the Mostar - Duvno Bishopric, so the main church is Cathedral of Mary, Mother of the Church, which is one of four Catholic cathedrals in this country. The cathedral was built in the postmodern style, which is generally the main characteristic of architecture in Bosnia and Herzegovina in the second half of the twentieth and at the beginning of this century.

Concrete, metal, glass and stone are materials which were used for building this monumental cathedral. The whole building is simple, especially when it comes to structures, forms and expressions, but it looks very harmonious in the same time. In the underground part of the cathedral, there is a crypt, which serves as a chapel intended for liturgical celebrations of smaller groups. In the chapel, there are graves of two bishops which were credited for the construction of the church - Archbishop Petar Čule and Bishop Marko Perić. A canon of Zagreb, Milan Balenović, donated bell tower, which was completed in 2005, and six bells, which were made in the foundry Grassmayr in Innsbruck, to the Cathedral of Mary in Mostar

Another important Catholic church in Mostar is the Franciscan Church of Saint Peter and Saint Paul, which was originally built in 1866, but unfortunately, it was destroyed in the last war in 1992. A new, bigger church was built in 2000 at the same place and with the same name. This whole beautiful complex with a library of 50,000 old writings is the largest of this kind in Herzegovina. There is also an important collection of valuable paintings, which were painted by Italian masters of the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries. 

When it comes to the Orthodox Churches in Mostar, there are only two – the Old Orthodox Church and the New Orthodox Church. The Old Orthodox Church was built in 1834 in Bjelušine and it is the oldest Christian object in Mostar. The icon of Virgin Mary and wooden iconostasis with various Russian, Venetian and local icons dating from the period from the fifteenth to the eighteenth century are the things that you can see if you visit this church. The New Orthodox Church, which is located in mountainous zone of the city, was built in 1873.  Spasoje Vulić and Andrej Damjanov were the two architects who made plan for this church, which was also destroyed in the recent war. The building is currently being renewed.

 

Featured Accommodation

temp-thumb
temp-thumb
temp-thumb
temp-thumb

Search accommodation

  Arrival
  Departure
Number of guests
Destination
Accommodation type
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
Široki Brijeg
Široki Brijeg is the administrative center of the West Herzegovina Canton, located on the banks of Lištica River. It is also cultural and spiritual center of this area, with more than 30,000 inhabitants.
About Get Sights
Medjugorje
Medjugorje is a little town in west Herzegovina, located about 25 kilometers south-west of Mostar and very close to the Croatian border. It is the main spiritual town in this region and the second-largest Catholic pilgrimage destination in the world, with around 5,000 inhabitants.
About
Čapljina
Čapljina is a town in southwest Herzegovina, located on the right bank of Neretva River, with more than 26,000 inhabitants. The important highways and rail routes connecting the Adriatic Sea with Bosnia and with the Central Europe go through this town.
About Get Sights
Mostar
Mostar is the biggest city in Herzegovina, located on the banks of Neretva River. It is also cultural and economic center of this area, with more than 130,000 inhabitants. The city is named after bridge keepers, who guarded numerous bridges at the river, back in the medieval times.
About Get Sights
Kupres
Kupres is a town in north-western Herzegovina, located in the middle of the Kupres Plain (Kupreško polje), with more than 10,000 inhabitants. It was first mentioned in documents of Kingdom of Croatia.
About
Neum
Neum is a town in south Herzegovina and the only coastal town in this country, with 24 kilometers of Adriatic coastline. There are around 5,000 inhabitants in this town. Neumene was its historical name, which is first mentioned in 533.
About Get Sights
Ljubuški
Ljubuški is a town in the western parts of Herzegovina, located on the left bank of Trebižat River near the Croatian border and 35 kilometers from Mostar. It was first mentioned in 1444 as the acity of Lubussa.
About Get Sights
 

Cultural sights

 

Events

 

Outdoor